Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Catcher in the Rye


So I just finished reading "Catcher in the Rye" yesterday while coming home from work. The 1 train pulls up at 59th street and I get on, stand somewhere in the middle of the car and pull out my book. Then I notice that this guy sitting right under me is reading it too, which is kind of awkward but no big deal. Then a seat opens up -- right next to the guy. So there we are, sitting next to each other, reading the same edition of this book (with the BRIGHT ass yellow and red cover). More than a little awkward. I couldn't even concentrate. Am I obligated to somehow acknowledge that I know we're reading the same thing? Make some clever joke about what great taste he has in books? Turn to him and smile knowingly? I didn't want my eyes to go too far to my right when I was reading because I was afraid he'd think, out of his peripheral vision, that I kept looking over to see which part he was up to in the story. Then I noticed people around us looking from my cover to his, and back again. Yes people, we're reading the same book. And sitting right next to each other. Okay? The worst part was just as I was finishing the book and starting to put it back in my bag, he was getting up to get off at his stop, which totally made it look like the only reason I took my book out in the first place was because I saw HIM reading it. Perrrrfect.

5 comments:

The DAT said...

hhaha thats hilarious.. you two might as well been Holden hands..

getlowe said...

LOL! WELLLL played.

José said...

Bravo, Dmitry.

Vicky, you're no phony. How do you make it through a day with yourself? So angst-y.

getlowe said...

Huh? Is that supposed to be a funny joke or something?

Likeabite said...

Alright I've got one for you...just to show you I know exactly what you MEAN!! Last week on the 4 Express heading to work, I get on the same cart with this girl and she has an ipod and I have a zune...so I'm listenin to Movado's "I'm so special" of the Unfinished Business riddim and I start hearing echoes of the same song in the background and i'm like wtf is going on...so I mute my shit and this chic is standin' next to me listening to the same damn song...so notices it too and starts actin' all weird like I am and so my song ends...next song of the same riddim, Serani, No Games. This bitch's next song is the SAAME SHIT!! We just started laughing. This may sound crazy but I'm sooo serious...i kept on listenin to mine, she did not make hers finish and she changed it to rap, Ron Browz's Pop Champagne, which is on my playlist as well. I kid you not, we exchanged players for a quick minute and had practically the same shit on each, then went our seperate ways...that was the weirdest day of my life...well in the subway at least.