Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Facebook Kills Relationships



Throughout my time on Facebook, I've run into more than a few little mishaps and argument starters that are unique to this website alone. It's a purely generational thing, and I wonder if it's more or less universal than I think it is. Before Gen Y, you could go to parties, take photos, be in relationships, engage in harmless flirting -- and no one would be any the wiser. But now, there is a ridiculous amount of access to people, their social lives, their relationships, and other rather intimate details. Is this something that every generation after us will have to deal with? I guess with them it'll just be the way things are, since they'll have actually grown up knowing no other way. People get into fights about whether or not to post "in a relationship" on their pages, over sketchy wall posts, out-of-context photos, and much more. I think Facebook is great in terms of keeping track of people, staying in touch, being in the loop and all that. But in terms of relationships, I think it's totally detrimental. Thoughts?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

im still confused over the fight NOT to put relationship status on fb. its like... what are you trying to hide?

José said...

I'm actually on the other side of the argument, but only in a personal sense. Facebook is a great way to network and keep in touch with people; the relationship aspect of it all is really only peripheral. How is my publishing the fact of my relationship and with whom going to help my relationship? It's not a matter of hiding anything, it's simply the kind of thing people are going to have to ask me about if they want to know.

I don't believe in sparing people the need to ask one another things, especially when it comes to private things. It's bad enough with everyone "googling" things rather than asking each other.

Think on that: Facebook and the internet are tearing us all apart, slowly, but surely.

I await your rebuttal.

José said...

P.S. Vicky, great post, great point. This has been an issue for me for some time.

Tigriss said...

Lol.

José said...

Who's Tigriss? And what's so magically delicious about the fact that you rarely post?