Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Hard Times


Months ago, The Economist reported that we were in a depression, not a recession. More and more financial analysts are saying that the current state of the economy reflects something bigger than just a recession.  This morning on the news, I heard that Warren Buffet is saying that the economy is going to continue to be "in shambles" throughout 2009, and probably well beyond that. 

So let's take this opportunity to make a prediction. I'm guessing that the economy will start stabilizing around March 2010, and then get itself back on track by the following June. Put your prediction down in writing here, and then we'll check back in a year to see who's the closest. That person will then get a prize (maybe dinner if the majority of us are still employed by then). Place your bets. 

5 comments:

Mizell said...

Feb. 2010

The DAT said...

It's a tad bit hard to predict the exact month of a turnaround. I will say that the economy (GDP) will experience positive growth in the fourth quarter (Oct-Nov-Dec) of 2009. This will be the first positive growth since the 2nd quarter of 2008, and thus a good indicator of a turnaround.

getlowe said...

You're a math snob.

Tigriss said...

On DAT I concur. he once told me "I have a degree in physics you don't know what you're talking about" He later apologized when I was correct. He was a big boy about it . . . .
My bet is that the market (DOW/S&P) will see the bottom by about August of this year.
As an aside my word verification is "diess", don't they screen these things?

José said...

It'll never bounce back. Shit's over.