Monday, April 28, 2008

Something that annoys me: captchas

You know when you're buying concert tickets or posting on someone's blog and they have that weird letter combination that you're required to type in? They're called "captchas." They're basically for security and ensure that people aren't hacking into the site to get tickets illegally or posting spam in your comments section. Which I'm down with.

But does it also have to be a test of my motor skills and literacy? Does it need to be a puzzle? Is there someone standing behind with a clipboard taking notes? Nodding with their glasses sitting on their noses and saying "hmm..."? Sometimes the letters are so twisty and wrenched out of their normal shapes that I just can't read them. I have to refresh and start all over again. I mean, am I really expected to be able to read what the fuck this says?

7 comments:

Tigriss said...

I call it word charades. You guess what you think it is and when you hit enter you get so see if you're correct. It was a personal inconvinience although its just messed up for people who are dsylexic. No one is doing them any favors.

Mizell said...

I hate it so bad. But it keeps spam off your blog apparently.

By the way, you're kinda killing the blog game right now.

getlowe said...

Thank you! :)

V.C. said...

For what it's worth, I'm about to put these shits back up on my blog. I refuse to entertain those spam comments.

Also: what Chris said.

Unknown said...

I feel very vulnerable typing this but every time I have to confront one of them I feel verry very inadequate.

M. said...

Oh yeah, these things are definitely bothersome. Especially when I get them wrong!!! All I wanna do is post a comment son, what's with the IQ test?

sP said...

HAHAHAHAHA, it's comfortable to know that i'm not the only one with these issues...yet....your f**in blog makes me sign in. Practice what you preach (there i go telling you what to do...because you LIKE it). -sP