Thursday, May 1, 2008

Am I a Misogynist?

I don't think that's the word I'm looking for.

I thought that maybe I'm just not a feminist, but I do believe that women should have equal rights. Maybe it's that I'm old-fashioned? But there's a lot of shit about me and the way I think that's on the very far left of the progressive/liberal spectrum. And yet here I am, a firm believer in the following statements:

1. Female customer service representatives are completely incompetent. If you're ever calling Verizon, Apple, etc. and you hear "Hi this is (female name) from blah, how may I help you today?," please hang up and redial until you get a man. Trust what I'm telling you.

2. I like when a man tells me what to do. When I'm with a guy, I think I respect him more when he tells me not to wear something or go somewhere or talk to someone. Not, "I respect that you're independent but I don't feel comfortable with that dress." More like, "You're not going out like that, change." This extends into a sexual context, also, although I won't divulge those details here.

3. Women cry too freakin' much. It's a universal truth that men don't cry as often. Women cry always. I'll admit to being guilty of this. If a commercial about those 'ten cents a day' kids comes on with some cheesy piano music, my lip starts quivering. It's ridiculous.

4. I wholeheartedly believe that it's a woman's place to cook and clean (including laundry). Sure, I might like some help once in a while. But no man of mine is going to be whistling around the house with a handkerchief tied around his head and a mop in his hand with his sweats rolled up. No.

Any thoughts on this?

10 comments:

Tigriss said...

You're not being a misogynist your being honest. It's too often the case that people will use the term misogynist as a way of crushing any discussion on generalizations that while not politically correct, do hold a great deal of truth. My personal additions to the list would be indecisive driving and, to a lesser extent, a poor sense of direction.

getlowe said...

Oh I have a TERRIBLE sense of direction. I sometimes get confused in Manhattan, where the streets are numbered. Consecutively. I drive well, though :)

José said...

I feel you on all those. I think a lot of it comes from that "nurture" effect. Aren't women brought up marinating in signals that tell them they're not as good as men at __________ ?

I like this blog.

P.S. xzgugmf is the chaptcha(?) I'm verifying my word with. I'm insulted by it.

getlowe said...

Thanks. I'm not saying that women are inferior to men. I think it's more that my notions of femininity and womanhood sometimes conflict with my independence and fiestiness as a woman in 2008 NYC.

I'm sorry you got an insulting captcha.

The DAT said...

preach!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure about the female customer service representatives but I must say I agree with the others. There's nothing sexier than a man who knows how exert a little control :)

M. said...

OK. My turn...

I am SO with you on the female customer service representatives. I HATE them. Especially when I call Dell and get the Indian ones (no offense!). But seriously, there are times that I do hang up and wait until I get a man.

Female drivers...HATE them too (again, no offense!) Not that I'm saying ALL women can't drive (cause I do know alot that can), BUT usually when I'm in traffic and see someone doing something STUPID (not to mention totally ILLEGAL), 9 times out of 10, it's a woman and I drive away, hanging my head in shame. Some people just can't drive, and most of those people are women. It's a fact of life, so no, you're not a misogynist cause if you are, that means I am too!

And about men doing housework-I love it! But I do also love it when they tell me what to do. Not that I'll do it, but I like the an assertive, no-nonsense type of guy. It's SEXY!

One last thing: You cry at those commercials?! Man Up, woman!!!!

Mizell said...

Make me dinner. Now.

Anonymous said...

Vicky, my house needs cleaning, and have a meal ready for me by the time I get in. Also, pick up my dry cleaning. On a serious not, why can't there be more women like this??? Vicky, marry me. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Ugh, agreed. Why is this hard to understand? Yes, I am a woman, I am independent, but please let me act like a woman. And please, please, know what it means to act like a man. Maybe it is old-fashioned but I have tried tirelessly to explain it.

And don't ever ask me where I want to go on our first date.

Victoria Lowe, what a blog you have here. I love it.