Friday, May 23, 2008

Stuff You Might Wanna Know About


I love to watch movies, and I know some of you do, too. So you might be interested in the following news:

*Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer Films are teaming up to make a movie out of a Ubisoft video game. It will be called "Prince of Persia: Sands of Time," starring Jake Gyllenhaal as Dastan and Gemma Arterton as Tamina. Production is slated to begin in July in Morocco and England. So they're going to make him look Persian? Hmm. I haven't seen a good video game adaptation since the first Resident Evil, but I played Prince of Persia (like twice) and might check this one out.

*Ben Barnes, who plays Prince Caspian in the new Narnia installment, has been cast as Dorian in the new adaptation of Oscar Wilde's "Picture of Dorian Gray," which will also begin production at the end of July. I'm very excited about this one because it's one of my favorite novels and I'm not into old movies, so I haven't seen the 1945 version, nor will I ever. They're "planning to make a visceral, dark horror story." Sounds delicious!

*Joseph McGinty Nichol, the director of the Charlie's Angels movies, has started up a new Terminator trilogy. The first movie will be called "Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins." Ehh, sounds a little cheesy. The GREAT news is that John Connor will be played by Christian Bale (yum!). No word yet on whether or not Ahnuld will be making a return. Production has already started and the movie will probably be released in May 2009. Christian apparently loved the script so much, that he signed up for all three installments. Do you think it's going to be good? Would you like to see the Cali governor back in his most famous role? Are you as excited as I am to see Christian in "Dark Knight?!?!?!?"


*On Monday in Cannes, Spike Lee announced that he'll be making a Michael Jordan documentary, which he'd like to bring to Cannes for next year's festival. "The project will feature previously-unseen footage shot by NBA cameras during the final two years in Jordan's career, the 2001-02 and 2002-03 seasons." Jordan is arguably the best player in the history of the NBA, but he's been out of the limelight for some time now. Would you still be interested in going to see a documentary of him?

***UPDATE***

Word on the street is that Hugh Heffner has signed off on Robert Downey Jr. to play him in his biopic, which is tentatively being called Playboy. That Downey is so hot right now!

8 comments:

José said...

Prince of Persia was a fantastic game when it came out on the PS2. I fell in love with that game immediately and may have been the last game I played through without much of a pause. As for Jake Gyllenhaal as the main character? C'mon. Come on! They didn't even think a little darker like Jay Hernandez? He's a wacktor too, though, so we'll see.

The Picture of Dorian Gray is one of the more interesting works I've read. I decided last week that I'd reread it; now I definitely will do so before the movie's out. Where is that Prince Caspian guy from? My little sister thinks "he's so hot". My thought? Sure, if you like women.

Three powerful points stand out regarding the Terminator trilogy:

a) Christian Bale signing on to just about anything means that the project is guaranteed fantastic. Think "American Psycho", "Harsh Times", "Batman Begins", "The Prestige", and "3:10 to Yuma".

b) McG's produced a ton of shlock: The O.C. and Supernatural. On the directing side, he's best known for his work on "Charlie's Angels", which was hardly memorable. To his credit, his latest directorial effort turned out "We Are Marshall". Maybe he is ready for something serious.

c) I loved T2 and T3.


I guess I'm pretty sold on this one.


Michael Jordan + Spike Lee? Interesting enough.

Great post. Thanks for the updates. Let's make a big event out of The Dark Knight, and maybe another couple of movies (Step Brothers, The Happening, Kung Fu Panda, etc...)

P.(rediction)S. I think The Love Guru will soar, while Get Smart will flop. I won't be alone in liking a Hulk movie this time. Zohan will be good for only a few laughs, and The Strangers will scare. Wall-E is the new Fantasia (i.e., not for everyone) and Wanted will be a surprise hit.


P.P.S. What's the over/under on Eddie Murphy's Meet Dave doing better at the box office than The Dark Knight? Subquestion: Has anyone fallen off harder than Eddie Murphy? Ever?

José said...

Also, stay tuned for a post on my blog about my dark horse movie candidate for picture of the year this summer:

Tropic Thunder

getlowe said...

What great comments, I have so much to say! My brother makes an interesting point about the casting in Prince of Persia, citing Tom Cruise as The Last Samurai and Daniel Day Lewis as the Last of the Mohicans, lol. Oh, Hollywood.

I'm pretty sure the Caspian guy is British. He is pretty effeminate. I'm not into guys like that. Orlando Bloom, etc. It's like, grow a pair.

Christian Bale has the power to turn a cereal commercial into Oscar -worthy gold. He was their first choice for John Connor and they were worried he wouldn't do another franchise after Batman, but he's supposedly a big Terminator fan.

I find Love Guru offensive, and they're trying to ban it in India because it lampoons Hinduism, lol...word!

I'm going to a screening of The Strangers on Tuesday; I'll let you know how it goes. Looks FREAKY though.

LMAO about Eddie Murphy. Sad times.

The DAT said...

um jose, keep the blog posts to your own blog and not this comments section

i love movies too, vicky... remember when we used to watch them together :(

José said...

dmitry,

is policing other people's comments section what's keeping you from staying on your blog game?

step it up.

josé

Anonymous said...

I believe that Batman will be the #1 movie of the summer (Sorry Iron Man fans, I loved it too, but Batman will take it) for a few reasons:
1. Christian Bale
2. Heath Ledger
3. Christian Bale
4. It's being released in IMAX.
5. Christian Bale

The extra Bale mentions were for you Vicky :-)

Unknown said...

Not a big fan of the Terminator but Christian Bale might change that attitude. Definetely looking forward to the Picture of Dorian Gray though.

PS: No to Ahnuld!!!

Likeabite said...

lol, I didn't know about the Prince of Persia one...thanks Vick and yea Arnold's going to be in the Terminator movie...don't no to what extent of if it'll just be a cameo but can't