Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Hulk, Take Two


I went to a screening of The Incredible Hulk last night. As some of you may remember, Ang Lee's version in 2003 was maybe the worst movie to ever come out. It was slow-moving, unexciting, and the attempt to make it a piece of art totally overshadowed what a comic book movie it supposed to be all about. People were actually walking out of the theater when I went to see it. When Lee heard that a second "Hulk" was being made, without a number two in the title, he was "bewildered." He said, "I was very proud of the movie I made. It seemed strange that it was being treated as if it didn't exist." That's because it was a piece of shit, Ang. Just get what you can out of Brokeback.

The first and most important thing that I can say about this one is that whoever's mind it was in which it first occurred the thought hmm, maybe we should use Ed Norton, is a damn genius. I think he does for the Hulk, on a much larger and more significant scale, what Christian Bale did for Batman -- provided him with a new depth and context that really enhanced both the movie and the viewer's connection to it. Norton also had an unconventional amount of creative input into the making of the film. Zak Penn wrote the original draft of the script, and then Norton took it and basically rewrote it (but he's not getting any writing credit). I think he also made it clear that he wouldn't do the movie if it didn't turn out to be done in a way that he liked, which is less of a dick move and more of an actor (and a fan of the Hulk) wanting to make sure that he didn't get involved with a flop. Considering the first Hulk, I would say it was even necessary.


Anyway, it's a great summer movie; I definitely recommend that you go see it. There are a few surprise appearances and Tim Roth plays Abomination, which makes for an interesting fight towards the end. I heard some grumblings about Liv Tyler, but I thought she made an excellent Betty Ross. Her naturally calm demeanor does exactly what it's supposed to do for her character and for the Hulk. And let me just say again that Ed Norton is the freakin' man. Go see it and tell me what you think - about the movie in general and about the ending ;)

3 comments:

The DAT said...

glad to hear that its good... i had my reservations. mostly because its a superhero movie. but then i was conflicted bc of what a genius norton is, and also worried that he sold out.

thanks for the review :)

Unknown said...

Ed IS the freaking man!!! and I definitely have to see it now.

Likeabite said...

thanks for giving me the go-ahead on this one...i was a little skeptical about it but now i'll definitely check it out