Friday, June 27, 2008

Modern Art



Olafur Eliasson, with the Public Art Fund, has created four man-made 'waterfalls' located across the Manhattan shoreline. The 'art' installment will be on view until October 13th and is called "The New York City Waterfalls." Original, huh? The falls are on every day, from morning until 10 PM, but will automatically shut off if there's really strong wind. They measure from 90 to 120 feet long and are supposed to incorporate building elements that are unique to New York (scaffolding is the backbone of each structure). You can find them at the following locations:

-Under the Brooklyn Bridge (on the Brooklyn side)
-Between Piers 4 and 5 in Brooklyn (west of the Brooklyn Heights Promenade)
-Pier 35 in Manhattan (adjacent to South Street at Rutgers Street)
-The north shore of Governor's Island



Says the Times of the exhibit, "they could almost fool King Kong into thinking he is back home. They are the remnants of a primordial Eden, beautiful, uncanny signs of a natural nonurban past that the city never had." They also try to make some vague Walt Whitman connection that doesn't really work.

I feel like this is more architecture than art, but I guess some could argue that those two things are inevitably connected. What do you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Water falling off of scaffolding...WOW! I don't need to make a special trip to see this, I see it almost every morning at my local subway station.

Unknown said...

LOL @ Shawn's comment. I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Unknown said...

Having just gone on a cruise and seen these waterfalls, I'm pretty sure they're both architecture and art. Great stuff, especially the one under the Brooklyn Bridge.

M. said...

At first I thought it was a decent idea. But the Times review went a WEE BIT overboard. At the end of the day, it's still (as Shawn says) "water falling off of scaffolding", but I may go take a gander if I'm ever in the area.