Monday, June 23, 2008

Shake Shack

I had this past Friday off and decided to do something epic with it. Since it was really nice out and I'd been craving a burger for weeks, I went to Shake Shack. I didn't get a portobello burger (deep-fried and stuffed with cheese) or anything like that, either. I broke my no-beef rule and ordered me up a cheeseburger. Two of them. And fries. And a frozen custard. And an Arnold Palmer (half iced tea, half lemonade). Because if you're gonna do it, you have to do it right.

I'd heard about the legendary lines, and when I got there it was snaking through the park. It moved along pretty quickly, though, considering that they make the burgers right when you order them. They also have a bee-line, which is wayyy shorter, but you can only get on it if you're ordering a concrete, drinks or frozen custard. I had some decent entertainment, though. There was some kid, whose parents were in front of us in line, who was just going nuts the whole time. He threw himself in the dirt and then started screaming. He kicked his little brother's stroller and then started bawling. He heard his Mom ordering burgers and howled "mayonaise and ketchup!!!!" until he was red in the face and crying hysterically. When I was standing towards the end of line, some guy walked past yelling, "trust me, it's not worth it!" But fuck that guy because yes, it was.


The burger was cooked to juicy perfection. I've never had anything that was less than well done, but this was medium-well leaning towards medium. The fries were good--evenly cooked and crispy. I had a chocolate custard which was yum (the flavor of the day was blackberry which I wasn't that into). Very nice texture, like nothing I've had before. The Arnold Palmer was good but I think a burger like that needed a Coke with a lot of ice. I'll try that next time, and maybe a concrete, too. But I'm definitely sticking with the single cheeseburger -- no doubles, mushroom burgs, or hot dogs. I'll also eat much slower next time (I was starving by the time I finally got down to Chelsea and conquered the line).

I guess I don't have much to compare it to since this was my first real beef burger, but I went with my boyfriend who says it's the best burger he's ever had, so I feel validated. Oh, and the freakin' buns are amazing. I'm not sure what they do to them. It's owned by Danny Meyer, who also owns Tabla (across the street on the corner of Madison and 23rd), The Modern, Blue Smoke, and Union Square Café among others. So I guess Shake Shack is the fine dining version of fast food, but just as deliciously greasy as the real deal.

Have you ever been to Shake Shack? If so, tell me what they do to the buns. If not, I hope this review makes you want to go because it's all that and a bag of chips.

4 comments:

Likeabite said...

it's been on my places to visit list and if u say it's good then i'll try it

Tigriss said...

You had a fucking burger?
I didn't think you would do it, I
really didn't.

M. said...

Seeing kids act like that make me want to donate my ovaries...

Unknown said...

Dude, you had a beef burger? I don't know how I feel about that. Hahahaha. My world is turned upside down. On a lighter note, I haven't been to the S.S. but I'm dying to go now.

LOL@ M.'s comment. Donate your ovaries?! OMG! I'm dying.

PS: You should look into being a restaurant or food critic, hahaha.